If you’re planning a wedding, you’ve most likely seen these two terms pop up a lot!! Elopements have become more and more popular, especially due to the Pandemic. Intimate weddings, also known as “MicroWeddings” are actually quite different than elopements. This post will break down the differences for you!!
If you haven’t ready my post about what exactly an elopement is, that post goes into a lot more depth about elopements specifically. I would suggest starting here and coming back to this post after!!
1. Here’s a brief summary of what an elopement in 2020 looks like:
AN ELOPEMENT IS AN INTIMATE AND UNIQUELY CRAFTED WEDDING EXPERIENCE THAT FEELS AUTHENTIC TO WHO YOU ARE AND IS COMPLETELY FOCUSED ON YOUR LOVE FOR EACH OTHER.
- Usually around 0-15 guests.
- In my experience, an elopement may not include a reception or dinner, usually very few guests are invited to the ceremony and the remainder of the day is for the couple.
2. So what’s an Intimate Wedding/Microwedding?
A micro wedding is a cross between an elopement and a bigger traditional wedding. It’s a smaller wedding that still includes the elements of a traditional wedding.
- Usually 50 guests or less.
- Probably includes a small, casual dinner and reception.
- If you like the idea of an elopement but want some more people there, a microwedding is for you!!
If you’re struggling to decide what type of wedding is best for you, consider these things:
The biggest, most defining difference between the two is the guest count.
- Is having most of your family at your wedding important to you? Is time with your family on your wedding day what you value most? Do you want a small reception? If you answered yes to these questions, an intimate wedding is probably best for you.
- Would you rather have only your very close family and friends at your ceremony? Maybe you want to explore or plan something fun for your wedding day? Do you want a destination wedding without the huge price tag? Do you find yourself drawn to adventurous, intimate, emotion-filled photos? If you answered yes to these questions, an elopement is probably best for you.
Thank you so much for reading!! If you’re new here, Hi I’m Erin!! I’m an intimate wedding and elopement photographer here to help you plan an unforgettable wedding experience and capture every second of it. I’m based in Charlotte NC, but I travel worldwide for weddings every year. I’d love to chat with you about your dream elopement and how we can make it a reality!!
Head on over to my Experience Page to read about how I can help you plan your dream elopement!!