What makes a good adventure elopement photographer? Choosing the right vendors for your elopement can make or break your wedding day, here are some questions to ask yourself before you book your photographer:
- Do they have experience photographing elopements? Most wedding photographers have a lot of experience photographing traditional weddings, and because elopements are so different, you’re going to want to hire someone who is more familiar with the planning process and flow of an elopement.
- Do they help with planning? A lot elopement photographers are more than happy to help you plan as well as documenting the day (another reason you should hire someone with elopement experience!). I’m not a planner, but I’m more than happy to help you choose a location or show you how to apply for a permit, etc. Hiring someone with planning experience that you can go to anytime you have a question will be SO helpful.
- Are they knowledgable about locations and permits for ceremonies? This is SO important!! Planning an adventure elopement will require a lot of location research. Make sure you hire someone who is familiar with the logistics of having a ceremony on public lands, where you can and can’t shoot, the best seasons, weather conditions, the popularity of trails and how crowded they’ll be, etc. For example, the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina doesn’t allow ceremonies during the month of October due to overcrowding during peak foliage. Someone who has experience shooting at those locations will be able to warn you about certain rules like this.
- Do they share the same values as you? When you hire a photographer, look for someone that has the same values as you. For example, a lot of elopement photographers are especially passionate about protecting the earth. I have spent a lot of time educating myself and learning about Leave No Trace so that I can better serve my couples and protect the lands we shoot on. Someone who shoots in bigger wedding venues probably won’t be as aware of that because they don’t have to be.
- Are they Leave No Trace Certified? You can look for this badge on a photographers website to see if they’ve completed the LNT Course for photographers. This course taught me a lot about how to guide couples on our adventures and how to make sure I’m not damaging the land we’re shooting on. Click here to learn more about Leave No Trace.
- Do they have outdoor/hiking experience? Hiring a photographer with actual outdoor experience is extremely important for everyone’s safety. Hiking on your wedding day is so much fun, but also requires a lot of preparation and safety precautions to make sure the day will go smoothly no matter what. Anyone can call themselves an “Adventure Elopement Photographer” but do they actually live an adventurous outdoor lifestyle? Do they know how to properly pack for hiking? Do they have the right gear for the type of day you want to have?
Heyyy!! I’m Erin! Thank you so much for reading. If you’re planning an elopement and looking for someone that checks off all the requirements listed above, I may be the perfect adventure elopement photographer for you!! Click here to contact me and let’s start planning your dream elopement day!!